The Foundation Stone for the Bell Tower of Holy Trinity was laid by Bishop Long in 1919 in memory of soldiers who fought in the Great War, 1914 to 1918, and dedicated in 1924. Financial troubles dogged its construction, with no money remaining for bells. Over the years, records, tapes or CDs of bells were played from the Tower for weddings and special occasions!
In 2003, the Australian and New Zealand Association of Bell Ringers (ANZAB) approached the Parish with a proposal to install a peal of bells. Five secondhand bells were located in England and a sixth given by the Orange Ex Services Club to complete the War Memorial. Subsequently, two more bells were given. They were dedicated on November 25, 2007. The heaviest bell is thought to be the oldest ringing bell in Eastern Australia.
Bell 1: “Andrew” is named after Andrew Barton Paterson, the Australian poet who was baptized in what is now called the Bluestone Hall in the 1850s. The inscription, “A Vision Splendid”, refers to the donors hope that the bells will be a means of calling future generations to worship. “Andrew”, the treble bell, was cast at Taylors Bell Foundry, Loughborough in 2005. It weighs 146kg, is 54 cm in diameter and sounds the note B flat.
Bell 2: Also cast at Taylors Bell Foundry in 2005, “Amaroo” was given in memory of Geoff and Barbara Pratten by their family. Named after the family property, “Amaroo” sounds the note A and is inscribed “We plough the fields and scatter the good seed on the ground”. It weighs 151 kg and is 58 cm in diameter.
Bell 3: Donated after the birth of a grandson by an anonymous donor, “Harry” sounds G and is inscribed “Australians all let us rejoice”. “Harry” came from Scarborough and was made by J. Taylor & Co. Founders in 1879. It weighs 187 kg and is 60 cm in diameter.
Bell 4: This is another Taylors bell. Cast in 1964, it spent its prior life as a buoy bell in a shipping lane in the North Sea . Owned by Trinity House and having been made redundant by new technology, it commenced a new career in under the name of “Noah”. It is inscribed “If God is with us, who can be against us”. “Noah”, the F note of the ring, is 152 kg and 60 cm in diameter. It is a different colour from the other bells, having been exposed to salt water.
Bell 5: This bell was cast in 2004 on behalf of the Orange Sub-branch of the RSL, and was the gift of the Orange Ex-Services Club. It is inscribed “Lest we Forget” and was given to complete the War Memorial. Sounding the note E, this bell weighs 199 kg and is 66 cm in diameter.
Bell 6: “Barnabas” is so called because of the relationship between our Parish and St. Barnabas in East Orange . Cast by Gillett and Johnson, it was a church bell in Whitechapel. This Foundry closed many years ago. Sounding the note D, “Barnabas” was given “In memory of Richard Stevens – 18 Dec 1944 to 16 July 2004”. Its original inscription is “Presented by W.F. Eyles, Christmas 1907. H.F. Olivier M.A. Vicar of St. James Croydon. W.F. Eyles - Arthur B. Carpenter Church Wardens”
A recent visiting ringer from the UK said she used to ring with Richard Stevens before he migrated to Sydney; he was a lovely man and a really good ringer.
Bell 7: This bell is named “Paul” after St. Paul’s Church at Carcoar, from where Anglican ministry to Blackmans Swamp , now known as Orange , commenced. It is inscribed “There was movement at the station”. Weighing 317 kg, Paul is the C note in the peal and is 79 cm in diameter. Its original inscription is “T. Mears of London Fecit 1814”. This Foundry no longer exists.
Bell 8: This bell is thought to be the oldest ringing bell in Eastern Australia. It was cast by Abel Rudhall, another firm that subsequently closed, in 1754. It belonged to a peal from St. Marys Parish Church in Kidderminster in the , which were replaced a few years ago. The tenor bell sounds the note B Flat and is named “Trinity” and inscribed “Orange 2005”. After tuning, it weighs 267 kg and is 86 cm in diameter. Its original inscription is “Fear God, Honour the King”.
About us >